The SAS Group traffic figures March 2006
· SAS Group carried 3,3 million passengers in March 2006, more than ever before and up 15,9% vs 2005.
· SAS Group load factor for March was up 2,9 p.u. to 69,8%.
· SAS Group traffic increased by 6,8% vs 2005.
Group market trends and yield development
SAS Group traffic increased in March by 6,8% and capacity increased 2,2%. Cabin factor increased by 2,9 p.u. to 69,8%. Number of passengers increased by a strong 15,9% positively affected by introduction of new business models as from September 1, 2005 and the time of the Easter holiday in March 2005.
The trend with decreasing yield being offset by improved passenger load factor continues. Yield for Scandinavian Airlines in February came out better than expected and was 0,4% lower than February 2005. Yield change for March is expected to be positive due to the Easter holiday in March 2005.
Due to the higher jet fuel prices the SAS Group increases the annual forecasted jet fuel costs to be SEK 10,5 – 11,0 billion for 2006. The strategy is to offset the increase through yield management.
The market growth is relatively stable but there are still uncertainties in the marketplace due to the competitive situation and continued high jet fuel prices.
The strike among parts of SAS Braathens’ cabin crew is expected to cost appr MSEK 20-30 per day.
Intercontinental traffic was down in March due to decreased capacity, but load factor improved. SAS Group European traffic increased by 16,2% and passenger load factor increased by 4,7 p.u. primarily due to new business models and strong growth in the group airlines. Blue1 introduced seven new destinations in March and traffic increased by 34,9% and load factor by 3,0 p.u. to 59,5%. Spanair continued to grow and traffic increased by 21,4%.
Scandinavian Airlines Businesses
· Scandinavian Airlines passenger load factor improved by 3,2 p.u. to 73,5%.
· The introduction of Scandinavian Airlines new business model has been positively received in the market.
· Traffic on European routes in March increased by 10,0% and load factor improved by 5,9 p.u. to 70,0%. Traffic on intrascandinavian routes was up 20,1% and load factor increased by 8,8 p.u. to 63,7%.
For further information Please contact VP,Head of SAS Group Investor Relations Sture Stølen
+ 46 8 797 1451 email@example.com Homepage: www.sasgroup.net