The SAS Group Traffic figures January 2009
SAS Group’s January traffic figures
• SAS Group’s traffic decreased by 14.8 % during January and seat capacity was down 9.8% vs 2008.
• SAS Group carried 1.7 million passengers in January, down 17.5% vs 2008.
• Total passenger load factor in January was down by 3.6 p.u. to 60.7%.
Group market trends and yield development
Yield for Scandinavian Airlines in December was up by 5%, in line with earlier indicated. For January 2009, the change in yield is also expected to be positive versus last year. In light of the new weakening demand, capacity has been reduced by approximately 10% in January.
The market is characterized by lower demand due to weaker macroeconomic development in Scandinavia and worldwide. The challenges within the credit market will most likely result in an even more difficult macroeconomic environment in SAS Group’s core markets. The SAS Group is currently implementing a new strategic approach – Core SAS – to secure a profitable SAS. The strategy include cost initiatives totaling SEK 4.0 billion. Core SAS constitutes of five pillars
• Focus on the Nordic home market
• Focus on business travelers and strengthen commercial offering
• Improved cost base
• Streamlined organization and customer oriented culture
• Strengthened capital structure
SAS Scandinavian Airlines
• Total number of passengers reached 1.5 million during 2008, a decrease by 18.6%.
• Traffic decreased by 15.3% in January
Scandinavian Airlines International’s total intercontinental traffic decreased by 10.1% in January vs last year and capacity was up 3.3 % Traffic on Asian routes was down 5% and USA routes was down 15% . The total passenger load factor was 71.0%, down 10.5 p.u.For further information Please contact VP,Head of SAS Group Investor Relations
+ 46 8 797 1451